Meet the great pizza acrobat: Pasqualino Barbasso!
Eating pizza was never so full of energy, fun, surprise and theatre, until we attended the Pizzaiolo at Celini, Grand Hyatt Mumbai, recently. The Pizzaiolo was none other than Chef Pasqualino Barbasso, who has been twice awarded as the World Champion of Pizza Acrobats! Here’s a chef who makes a pizza dough dance to his tunes. While the dough submissively and happily performs to its master’s commands, the whole act becomes a thorough entertainer that never fails to surprise and bring a smile to one’s face. While the atmosphere is dusted with the sweet fragrance of flour and the enthusiasm of the pizzaiolo from Sicily, the friendly nature and the talent of Pasqualino Barbasso makes it a point to visit Celini for sure, for every pizza-lover like me!
Pasqualino Barbasso performing pizza acrobatics at Celini, Grand Hyatt Mumbai.
Celini, Grand Hyatt Mumbai, has the Pizzaiolo festival going on from March 24th to April 2nd, 2017. Foodies in Mumbai will agree with the fact that Celini has always maintained its standards when it comes to good food and ambience. Last time when we were here at the launch of the Unapologetically Italian Saturday Brunch, we tasted two kinds of pizzas. This time around, the pizza promotion at Celini, Grand Hyatt Mumbai, has taken a grand, giant shape indeed! Scroll down and find out what exactly is it all about.
Pasqualino Barbasso doing one of his pizza stunts!
The amazing pizza acrobatics by Pasqualino was the highlight of the evening. As he juggled with pizza doughs just like frisbees in the air, each dough rhythmatically changed into paper-thin sheets of pizza base. It was almost like magic. Kids and adults alike stood there hypnotised by the “pizzacraft” of Pasqualino. Every moment of the legendary Pizza Acrobatics was worth the experience!
Pasqualino and the Italian Chef de Cuisine at Celini, Chef Alessandro Persico
At the media table, we had one of the most memorable pizza evenings ever. Delicious pizzas kept coming one after another. We tasted five vegetarian pizzas and six non-vegetarian pizzas.
- Indigo (vegetarian): This had a topping of Mozzarella and Palak Paneer. Well, I wasn’t quite fond of it, as it tasted quite spicy. But the pizzas that followed afterwards, were right down my alley.
- Mediterranea (vegetarian): This was a welcome change with toppings like dried eggplants and dried tomatoes. The pizza tasted yum with a generous amount of pizza sauce, mozzarella, black olives and basil powder.
- Alle Noci (vegetarian): I loved this creamy and cheesy pizza. It had Mozzarella, Gorgonzola, walnut cream, walnuts, Rocket leaves and shaved parmesan. The rocket leaves complemented the overall flavours of the pizza very well.
- Profumo D’Alba (vegetarian): If you love truffles, this pizza is for you. Mozzarella, asparagus, cream cheese and potatoes make it a truly comforting Italian dish.
- Deliziosa (vegetarian): This was delicious. The mushrooms, smoked cheese and spinach truly made a heavenly match.
- Chikkinki (non-vegetarian): Love Chicken Tikka? Try this fusion pizza called Chikkinki. With Mozzarella, chicken tikka, onion and spinach, this will satisfy both your Indian and Italian tastebuds equally.
- Arrotolata (non-vegetarian): Artichoke cream, mozzarella, artichoke, parma ham, rocket leaves and shaved parmesan come together in this pizza. I didn’t enjoy this one, though.
- Aspargi e salmone Affumicato (non-vegetarian): This was one of the best-tasting pizzas that evening. Asparagus cream, Asparagus, mozzarella, smoked salmon, ricotta and parsley made a killer combo. Each bite was full of seafood flavour.
Aspargi e Salmone Affumicato.
- Sapori di Bosco (non-vegetarian): Try one of these classics here. The Sapori di Bosco is one of my favourites here. What’s not to love about a pizza that’s blessed with spicy pepperoni salami and porcini?
Sapori di Bosco.
- Bolero (non-vegetarian): This was a bomb. A topping of Stracciatella cheese, lamb bresaola, rocket, cherry tomatoes and red wine reduction made Bolero one of the most popular pizzas in the pizzaiolo evening at Celini by Pasqualino Barbasso.
- Lilly (non-vegetarian): Lilly was flawless. If you never tasted pumpkin cream on a pizza, try Lilly at Celini. A topping of mozzarella, grilled zucchini, shrimps and bottarga were just perfect. This is definitely one of the best seafood pizzas ever. I strongly recommend you to try this pizza.
We also had a few very flavourful desserts: The signature Celini Tiramisu, Gooey Chocolate Cake, flavourful Cannoli and Lemon Meringue with Fruit Sorbet.
Gooey Chocolate cake at Celini, Grand Hyaat Mumbai.
Meringue and Sorbet.
Want to watch Pasqualino Barbasso performing his pizza stunts? Click here to watch this Pizza Acrobatics video by Grand Hyatt Mumbai.
Hurry, the Pizzaiolo festival at Celini, Grand Hyatt Mumbai, is only there till April 2nd, 2017.