Cosmopolitan Currymania is so humbled to receive samples of Ontario Ginseng from the Ontario Ginseng Growers Association (OGGA), Canada, which works collaboratively with the Canadian Government partners including Canada Brand and Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC). This Ontario ginseng is the original North American ginseng having a unique flavour and prominent medicinal uses. Interestingly, North American ginseng was the first Canadian product traded to Hong Kong since 1700s.
Why Ontario Ginseng?
Ontario ginseng is a premium and a much sought-after product not only in Hong Kong, but worldwide! The OGGA has strict cultivation standards, which makes this ancient herb even more medicinally valuable.
- Ontario ginseng relaxes and cools human body and is a reliable herb for fighting against stress.
- It boosts overall health and vitality and strengthens internal organs.
- It enhances blood circulation, inhibits blood-clotting and regulates blood pressure.
- It is widely used for its anti-ageing and anti-cancer properties.
- It stimulates the immunity and helps the body to fight against infections.
- It controls bad cholesterol in the body.
- It improves memory.
- It boosts physical stamina.
- It improves vision and hearing.
- It improves male fertility and erectile dysfunction.
- Ontario ginseng improves symptoms associated with post-menopause.
How to take Ontario Ginseng?
- The powdered root is sold loose or in capsule form, although powdered ginseng extracts are always available in capsules.
- In Asia homes, the dried root of ginseng is a part of the daily diet commonly in the form of ginseng tea or with an infusion with other herbs. The dried root is boiled (simmered) for three to four hours in water (please refer to the daily dosage below), in which dried chrysanthemum flower and wolfberries can be added.
- Ginseng has been used effectively in traditional Chinese medicine till today to cure a variety of ailments.
- Ginseng can be infused into chicken soup for a great comfort dish. Ginseng-chicken soup is very popular in Asia and it helps in fast recovery and longevity.
- Ginseng powder can be added to your regular morning smoothies or milk shakes, for sound health.
- Yes, ginseng can be used in cooking too! It can be added to marinades and hotpots. Some Asian cooks prefer soaking the roots in water overnight before being used for cooking, whereas others add the dried roots directly. I prefer the soaking method as the roots become very soft by doing so. Also, I do not discard the soaked water: I generally use it up in cooking.
If you are boiling this, boil not more than 9 g ginseng (dried roots) in about 720–960 ml water for 45 minutes. For making an infusion, pour 150–240 ml boiling water over 12 g of cut and dried root. Soak the roots for 20 min. The recommended dose of dry ginseng extract is 330 mg three times a day.
Try making this easy ginseng congee (Asian rice soup) with me (recipe below). It is nutritious and empowered with the benefits of this wonder herb! I have used pork (with bone) in this congee. Vegetarians can omit the pork and the chicken broth and use vegetable broth and taro (yam) cubes instead.
Easy Ginseng Breakfast Congee
- Glutinous millet: ½ cup
- Asian rice (except the Basmati variety): ¼ cup
- Mung beans with skin: ¼ cup
- Lotus seeds: 2
- Salt for soaking the rice: ½ tsp
- Shitake mushrooms (chopped roughly): 5
- Oyster mushrooms (chopped roughly): 5
- Pork with bones (cut into medium-sized pieces and marinated in 1 tbsp soy sauce and ½ tsp salt for 1 hour): 250 g
- Carrots (de-skinned and cut into medium-thick rounds): ½ cup
- Chicken broth: 1 l
- Water:2 cups
- Salt: 2 tsp (or according to taste)
- Dried Ontario ginseng roots (thinly sliced): 8 g
- Garlic (finely chopped) 1 tsp
Wash the first four ingredients thoroughly and soak the first five ingredients in just enough water to submerge the contents. Let it soak for 1 hr.
Soak the ginseng in ½ cup water overnight. Boil all the ingredients, except the ginseng for 1 hour on a low flame. Remove the lid and add the ginseng now, along with the soaked water. Stir evenly.
Cover the lid once again and boil for another 1 hour, till the contents look creamy.