Right now, I am very excited and counting days! A few weeks back, I received an invitation on behalf of American Express and the Asian Food Channel to meet Canadian celebrity chef Chuck Hughes! He will visit Hong Kong very soon for the third edition of the Celebrity Chef Series. Chef Hughes will cook interesting dishes in the event and if I’m lucky, I might be one of the invitees who can actually taste his dish! After this, he will play host to an exclusive dinner.
Well, I have been reading about stuffed pasta for quite a while now. Spinach seems to be one of the popular ingredients in stuffed pastas. I didn’t want to use spinach in this. I experimented with a little amount of avocado in my pork-mushroom-based stuffing and the taste was really great! If you trust my recipes, I’d like to suggest you that this recipe can definitely impress your loved ones.
Stuffed Jumbo Pasta with Creamy Tomato Sauce
Ingredients for the filling:
- Jumbo Conchiglioni pasta: 20 shells
- Purple onion (finely chopped): 1 cup
- Good-quality honey pork sausages (medium-sized, finely chopped): 2
- Honey ham (finely chopped): 1 cup
- White button mushrooms (finely chopped): 10
- Ripe avocado (finely chopped): ½ /li>
- Dijon mustard: 3 tbsp
- Cream cheese: 3 tbsp
- Shredded mozzarella cheese: 2.5 tbsp
- Shredded parmesan cheese: 2.5 tbsp
- White pepper powder: 1.5 tsp
- Fresh parsley leaves (chopped): 1.5 tbsp
- Basil (chopped): 1 tbsp
- Salt: according to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil: 2 tbsp
Ingredients for the creamy tomato sauce:
- Purple onion (finely chopped): ¾ cup
- Garlic (finely chopped): 2.5 tbsp
- Readymade concentrated tomato paste: ½ cup
- Homemade chicken broth: 1 cup
- Mozzarella cheese (grated): 1 tbsp
- Cheddar cheese (grated): 1 tbsp
- Fresh cream: 1 tsp
- Butter: 1.5 tbsp
- Salt: according to taste
- Muscovado sugar: according to taste
- Additional grated parmesan–mozzarella cheese mixture: 1.4 cup (for garnishing)
Cook the jumbo conch-shaped pasta according to package directions or until almost done. Drain the pasta and rinse well in cold water. Separate each of the shells and spread on a plate. Set aside.
Heat olive oil in a pan. Add the chopped onions and sauté for 5 min. Now add the finely chopped honey sausages, honey ham and mushrooms. Continue to cook on a medium flame for 5 min. Add Dijon mustard, cream cheese, white pepper powder and the chopped avocado. Add the two kinds of cheese, along with freshly chopped parsley, basil and salt. Cook till the cheese is well-blended, which takes around 4–5 min. Switch off the gas. Let it stand for 5 min.
To make the creamy tomato sauce, heat butter and add the chopped onions. Sauté till it becomes soft. Add the garlic and sauté for 5 min. Introduce the tomato paste and cook for 7 min over medium flame, stirring continuously. Now add the chicken broth and bring this to boil. Add the cheeses, cream and salt. Stir continuously and cook for further 3 min. Check the sourness of the sauce and adjust the sugar accordingly. After adding the sugar, stir well and boil for 2–3 min. The sauce is ready.
Spoon this stuffing carefully into each shell. Place these stuffed pasta shells into a microwave-safe dish and spread the sauce over the pasta generously. Sprinkle the additional grated parmesan–mozzarella cheese mixture over the top.
Cover this dish with a cling film and microwave on medium power for 2–3 min. Serve hot.
[Please feel free to follow Cosmopolitan Currymania if you love reading my blog. It motivates me a lot! And thank you, all my 237 followers, for being with me in my culinary expeditions! You can connect with me at @purabinaha on Twitter or click here to like my Facebook page. Thank you for stopping by!]