Among the Japanese noodles varieties, I have special affinity towards ramen, soba and udon. My Yakiudon recipe with Shrimps and Vegetables is comfort food for me and it is light! So I consider it often for my family, as it is flavourful and healthy. I used to make yakisoba (Japanese stir-fried noodles) very often in Hong Kong. Sometimes, I used to make Stir-Fried Udon with Squids and Pork, which is a kind of yakiudon. Yakiudon is a kind of yakisoba, but it uses fried udon noodles instead. This recipe is my version of yakiudon and I love this with a piece of browned, boiled egg, stir-fried in a special sauce. Japanese cooks would love to add beni–shoga (pickled red ginger) and katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes) to yakiudon and these add a different dimension to the yakiudon, but as these are optional and I didn’t have these in my pantry, I made my yakiudon without them and using ingredients easily available in Mumbai gourmet food stores.
This dish is an excellent example of quick cooking and takes less than 30 minutes to make. A noodle-addict like me, loves it for quick brunches or afternoon snack! I could not find fresh udon in Mumbai, so I used dried udon. To know how to make the browned egg, please refer to my Tonkotsu Ramen recipe.
Yakiudon with Shrimps and Vegetables
- Dried udon noodles: 1 pack I used Roland
- Shrimps with heads intact: 250 g
- Japanese soy sauce: 4 tsp
- Pepper powder: ½ tsp
- Mirin: 2 tsp
- Sake: 1.5 tsp
- Spring onions finely chopped: 2 stalks
- Onions chopped: ½ cup
- Garlic crushed: 1 tsp
- Sesame oil for cooking
- Worcestershire sauce: 1 tsp
- Salt: ¼ tsp
- Sugar: ½ tsp
- Sesame seeds toasted
- Cabbage thinly shredded: ½ cup
- Mushrooms chopped: ½ cup
- Broccoli florets: handful
- Marinate the shrimps with 2 tsp soy sauce and ½ tsp pepper powder, atleast for 20 min.
- Cook the udon noodles according to package instructions, taking care not to overcook. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in large pan or wok. Add onion and sauté for 2 min on high flame. Add the garlic, mushrooms, broccoli and cabbage and sauté for 5 min. Add the marinated shrimps.
- After five more minutes, add the green onions and all the sauces, sake, mirin, sugar and salt. Stir-fry for 2 min. Add the boiled and drained udon. Mix everything together to coat the sauce evenly with the noodles. Stir-fry for 5 min. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds, if desired. I added my browned egg as a garnish.